SW's Reviews > Hex: A Witch and Angel Tale

Hex by Ramona  Wray

May 07, 11

Read from May 04 to 06, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Ok the Story line is a little too familar, but since i'm in the process of reading Angelfireright now and FallenTormentseries this clandestine love that last through the ages is getting a little old. And why is it that the girl always forgets the memories and the boys get the brood over the history?

Ok enough ranting its my fault I seem to pick up the same kind of story line in each of these books.

But Lily/Katherine is very likable. Although the whole I don't know what he sees in me kind of self deprecating thoughts are old as well a-la TwilightI guess. But I guess that's what makes her so believable and relate-able to the reader? Because we all feel like that sometimes?

I found the Story line to be really predictable. I kinda guess from the start where it was all going. Everyone that has written about the "twist" (ha ha) I found predictable. I mean Ryder told you his name from the beginning, and although when Lucian tells her that is his name why does Lily just believe him right away. And when he shows her their "history" she gets this funny feeling. I mean come on people all these clues lead up to HELLO he's been lying to you the WHOLE time.

I did appreciate that the this was a novella not a full blow out novel, I don't think I could have handled the suspense (JOKING!!). OOPS see the comment below I was kinda worded by the author (nail biting, sigh) Ok well my bad. I'm glad it was a shorter novel not 500 pages...

The author's writing style is enjoyable and the little tid bits she put into the book really dates it. A good book won't do that. Hinting about Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers? come one 10 years from now a girl reading this will NOT get it!!

It also seems that some things like other people have said just get brushed over, like the use of her power. How everyone in the whole town knows about her special gift. And the making of her candles. Her courtship with Ryder is fast after the scene of the first date. All of this contributes to how short the story was.

I love it don't get me wrong but I think some things could have been delved into more explained better ect. I wasn't itching to finish this book like I have with others. And i'm soooo GLAD that this wasn't made into a series and strung out 10+ books or something I don't think I could handle any more cliff hangers these Paranormal YA authors have been hitting with us lately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hex.

05/06/2011 page 164
65.0% "This story is a little predictable but still i'm drawn into it"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Wray Per Wikipedia, "a novella (also called a short novel) is a written, fictional, prose narrative longer than a novelette but shorter than a novel. The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America Nebula Awards for science fiction define the novella as having a word count between 17,500 and 40,000. Other definitions start as low as 10,000 words and run as high as 70,000 words."
Hex is approximately 90755 words, therefore doesn't qualify. It is a stand-alone, full length novel.
Thank you for reading it :-) Your feedback is greatly appreciated.