Melissa's Reviews > Midnight

Midnight by Erin Hunter

May 10, 11

Read from May 04 to 10, 2011

After reading "Bleak House" by Charles Dickens, I wanted something light and fun to read. Browsing through my bookshelf, I saw the 6-book boxed set of this series - "Warriors, The New Prophecy" - that I had purchased after having two friends in the same week recommend the series to me and finding it on clearance at Borders. The reviews on Amazon are almost all fabulous, many say that this is the series that got their child hooked on reading, so I was excited to have it and start reading.

After just the first few pages though, I was deeply disappointed. I felt first, that my brain was excused from having to do any work at all to read the book it was such a low quality of writing (this probably was more pronounced because I had just come from reading Dickens) and second, I was completely annoyed by the bombardment of "cat lingo". Names like Brambleclaw, Dustpelt, Sorreltail, Leafpaw, Tawnypelt, Feathertail, etc. were thrown at me by the dozens, literally, in the first few pages. References to two-legs, kittypets, Thunderpaths, leaf-bare,etc. abounded in each paragraph.....I just found it so silly and annoying .

To be fair, this is the 2nd series (I didn't know that when I purchased it or I would have waited until I bought/read the first series) so maybe the first series gets you accustomed to all the names and jargon gradually. And it is a "juvenile" fiction series so I guess juveniles wouldn't find it so silly or be dumbed down by the low intellectual level of the writing.

Also, to be fair and completely honest, I stuck with it and although I thought it was a little slow in the beginning, I started liking it more and more as it progressed. The story is of young cats from different clans, normally enemies, having to travel together to accomplish a mission. Along the way they are required to persevere in spite of difficulties, act courageously, work together, and be loyal to each other. Because of this I'm giving it 3 stars instead of the 2 that I would have given the first half.

Now, I'm almost done with the 2nd book in the series and I plan on reading them all, they've interested me enough. I may even read the first series if I can get them from the library, but unless they get drastically better, I won't push them on my kids, even if it means they have to find something else to get them hooked on reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight.