Siria's Reviews > A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

Jun 04, 07

bookshelves: 21st-century, british-fiction
Read in February, 2007

It might not exactly live up to its title, but this is still a great book, and well worth picking up. If I have one quarrel with Lewycka's writing, it's that she touches on a wide number of themes, but never explores them as deeply as she could, or as deeply as the book seems to require--I was left with the feeling that if only she'd gone just that little bit deeper, there was the basis for a truly fantastic book here.

But taken for what it is, A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian is still a great little read, and I inhaled it along with my morning tea on the train between London Euston and Birmingham. The humour is sharply observed, affectionate to both sides but forgiving of neither; and while at times, Lewycka's characterisation flirts with being stereotypical, she always manages to redeem it, sometimes in surprising ways. None of her characters are exactly likeable, but they are entertaining and believable. Worth the read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian.