Jonathan Sample's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

The Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman

May 04, 11

This is not only a fantastic introduction and an effective hook, it's a dark collection of tales that walk you up a path to a cliff that overlooks a world unlike any other.

It's hard to imagine anything new in the world of comics having as much of an effect on me as this volume, and many of those that followed it in the series, did. The one story that stands out in my mind when I think back on the experience of reading this graphic novel is 24 Hours. It's a single issue in this collected volume that features one of a few antagonists in this early part of the Sandman epic.

Doctor Destiny, or John Dee, sits at a diner and watches a crowd, whose intimates are laid out for us over the course of the story, make their way in for a bite to eat. Over a 24 hour period we see what Dee and the ill-gotten dream jewel he possesses do to the minds and bodies of the diner patrons who are helplessly trapped under the power of dream. A better horror comic issue fails to come to mind.

Read it and be prepared for a commitment that will take you beyond this volume to the very end of Gaiman's epic tale, in an eleventh volume or somewhere slightly beyond in Sandman one-offs. Enjoy!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 1.