Morgan's Reviews > The Royal Road to Fotheringhay (Stuart Saga, #1)

The Royal Road to Fotheringhay (Stuart Saga, #1) by Jean Plaidy

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from July 21 to 30, 2011

Enjoyable and a quick read. It honestly reads a lot more like actual history than historical fiction, which was fine with me. My major issue was probably in the portrayal of Mary. In trying to explain her actions and release her from a lot of the blame that has been cast on her for centuries the author unfortunately makes her personality a bit bland and naive. While some of this has a basis in history (she certainly was spoiled for most of her childhood in France) I think her personality was a lot more active than what was portrayed in the book. Her portrayal of the relationship between Mary and Bothwell was very interesting, as I've noticed most fictional accounts tend to make Bothwell into a romantic hero. Still, a pretty good fictional overview of her life. You can tell the author really knew what she was talking about and did her research and it's amazing that she wrote this book back before opinions of Mary began to change and be more positive.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Royal Road to Fotheringhay (Stuart Saga, #1).