Alayne Bushey's Reviews > The Emperor's Tomb

The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry

May 13, 11

it was ok
Read from May 04 to 12, 2011

Book 6 of Steve Berry's "Cotton Malone" series takes our favorite ex-Magellan Billet agent to China where he must rescue his friend and sometime-lover, Cassiopeia Vitt. Vitt's gotten herself wrapped up in a web of conspiracy involving the Chinese premier and his top two ministers, some angry Russians, a handful of eunuchs, and Stephanie Nelle, Cotton's former boss. Everyone's on the hunt for a long-lost sample of oil which the Chinese need to prove that oil is not actually finite, but rather a replenishing source deep within the earth. Sound a but chaotic? That's because it is.

Sadly this book failed for me, and this is the first time I've said that about any of Berry's books. I usually love the fast-pace and intrigue, but The Emperor's Tomb was mired in Chinese history from the very first page. I felt bogged down by the different history lessons, so much so that by the time it got to the real action, I was ready to be done reading. The set-up might have been necessary to give us the appropriate background for the drama between the two Chinese ministers, but I truly lost the message in all the information. "Less is more" is not a method Berry utilized here.

I've received an advance copy of The Jefferson Key, Book 7 of the "Cotton Malone" series, and I really hope the next book can redeem Berry in my eyes. The last Berry book I read (The Paris Vendetta) received 3 stars from me, but the one before that (The Charlemagne Pursuit) received 5. I'm giving The Emperor's Tomb 2 stars. Not a good trend Steve, not a good trend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Tomb.