Andrea's Reviews > So Much Closer

May 04, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, chick-lit
Read in May, 2011

The Little Bookworm
Brooke follow Scott Abrams, the boy she has been crushing on for two year, to New York after he moves there.

Plot: It was very Felicity except in high school. I didn't really like that show, or well, I lost interest in it. But this book was alright. There were some loose ends that I wish had been cleared up mostly the subplot involving her dad. It's like all this anger she had and dropped on him and they never discussed it? I don't know. I wish it had been mentioned again.

Characters: Brooke made me want to shake her. She was very frustrating with her faux rebellion against the system and her anger/trust issues which seemed really deep. She kept saying how this and that was another example of how people let you down, but I didn't really get the impression that many people had let her down. Just her dad. Sadie, the girl she meets in New York, was a sweet character and I liked that Brooke helped her. It was a good example of character growth, something Brooke desperately needed. Scott was a little bland. I think he was intended as the kind of character a reader could mold into the perfect guy. He certainly wasn't worth moving to New York for, but he wasn't a bad guy. And John was very sweet and a good foil for Brooke's cynicism. I'm glad that the book didn't get too lovely-dovey and I liked that the relationships were a bit ambiguous at the end. It's nice not to see a character jumped from romance to romance.

Overall: I liked it overall. It was a good fun story despite the fact that Brooke was not my favorite character. I'd say it is a good quick beach read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Much Closer.