Rachel Loke's Reviews > The High Lord

The High Lord by Trudi Canavan

May 09, 11

Read from May 08 to 10, 2011

A spellbinding end to an amazing trilogy. One of the most compelling stories I have ever read thus far and I will definitely be looking forward to more of Trudi Canavan's books.

Sonea is a strong protagonist, and while I was pretty surprised by her eventual love interest (not revealing who it is), I didn't really mind. Though I did prefer someone else actually. The world Trudi Canavan crafted is one that is intriguing and unique- the slums vs the city and the Guild. The contrast between both places is a stark one and to be honest, I loved the underground tunnels which the Thieves used much more fascinating than the Guild's secret passages. Another strong point of this trilogy is the strength of the characters. Each character has a distinct personality and is definitely fun to read. The trilogy spans different countries and each country has its own unique quality.

Plus, I love how Trudi Canavan gave the slum dwellers a different language. It was difficult to understand, but thankfully there was a glossary. Last but not least, I definitely loved the plot twists and the High Lord's story of how he came to practise black magic.

A must-read!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The High Lord.