Auntee's Reviews > Champagne Rules

Champagne Rules by Susan Lyons

Feb 27, 2008

bookshelves: erotic-romance, 2010_reads, part-of-a-series
Recommended for: Fans of contemporary, steamy romance
Read from November 14 to 20, 2010

This book starts out with one hot little prologue. The hero and heroine are having sex on the beach (well, actually in a cave above a beach in Crete) and they are virtual strangers. Twenty year old vet-in-training Suzanne and 26 year old freshly minted, highly ambitious lawyer Jaxon

Photobucket

spotted each other on a nude beach and before you know it, there they were in that cave getting mighty creative. Certainly a good way to get a reader's attention! But what happens 4 years later when the H/h (who never got each other's name) miraculously meet up again is what this book is about. Do they have something more than just an awesome physical connection? Do they want to try and have a real relationship or would it be better to keep things casual? Will Jaxon's drive for success prevent him from exploring what could be possible with Suzanne? Will Suzanne's quest to find her perfect 'Ward Cleaver' get in the way of her growing feelings for Jaxon? Those are just some of the questions answered in this well written, pretty darn hot story!

I really enjoyed Susan Lyon's writing style, even if I wasn't always totally on board with her characters. Suzanne and Jax's relationship started out as all about sex (which was hot for a while), and they agreed to never get personal (no asking questions about their jobs, family, etc.). In fact, it took them quite some time to even find out each other's last names! But after a while I got bored with this--I wanted them to stop messin' around and try to develop a real relationship! When that finally happened, the book picked up and the story got much more interesting. There was plenty of 'meat' to this story, and many thought-provoking moments. The author shows a little bit how (mainly) Jax, who was a black man originally from Jamaica, and Suzanne, a white woman from Vancouver, have to deal with prejudice and racial profiling. It also touches on Jax's need to prove himself in a white man's world, and if that desire will come between him and any chance he might have for a real relationship. Just how important is Jax's career to him? Does it totally satisfy his every need? Does it make him happy? Is there any room for Suzanne in his life--can she fulfill him in ways that his career doesn't?

I thought the author handled these issues really well. I also enjoyed the relationship the heroine had with her three girlfriends (shades of 'Sex and the City"), who met every Monday for dinner and 'chatting'. The dialogue and emotions between them felt real--some funny stuff was said, and you could tell that the four of them really cared about each other.

This was book one in the "Awesome Foursome" series, and each of the other three women get their own book and HEA. Suzanne's story ended on a positive note, but she doesn't quite get her HEA in this story--more like a HFN (happy for now). I'll be curious to read the other books to see if that HFN turns into a HEA (somehow I think it does).

Readers looking for a thought-provoking, steamy (and I mean steamy) hot romance with two likable, thoroughly human characters (they make mistakes and sometimes you'll want to yell at them) should enjoy this well-written story. I liked it enough to want to go and dig through the TBR pile to find the rest of the series! 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Champagne Rules.

11/14/2010 page 39
11.0% "Enjoyed it from the start..." 5 comments
11/16/2010 page 136
39.0% "These two are starting to bore me...I want a 'real' relationship already!"
11/18/2010 page 210
60.0% "Finally. The beginnings of a real relationship..."
11/20/2010 page 352
100.0% "Good story. Review coming..."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Lennongirl (new) - added it

Lennongirl Mhhhh, sounds good...

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura What do you mean by a "real" relationship?

Laura Stamps
Paranormal Erotica Novelist

Auntee Well, they're keeping it a 'sex only', no personal questions asked relationship. They're both pretending to be people who they're really not.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Damn, so it makes it hard to connect to them or care about them. Gotcha. Need to get some romance going!! lol

BTW, Patrick asked me if you sent him those recs yet? I said you planned to do it today.

Laura Stamps
Paranormal Erotica Novelist

message 5: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell How's the book so far?

Auntee It's getting better. Hope to finish it tonight.:)

message 7: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Alright! That's great to hear!!

message 8: by Dina (new)

Dina Great review as usual, Auntee. Now, why did you have to mention "Sex and the City"? I hated that show!

Auntee Sorry Dina. Just the girls getting together reminded me of that show. They weren't as obnoxious as the SATC women!:)

message 10: by Dina (new)

Dina That's a relief, Auntee. :)

message 11: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Awesome review Auntee!!! This is like the first interracial romance book I have ever heard and it sounds interesting!!! :D

Auntee Thanks Ronyell--I thought it was well written and plenty steamy!:)

message 13: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell Yeah! I love hot and steamy romance books!!

message 14: by Desperado (new)

Desperado Jesu Christo, it's Shemar Moore! OMG! Soul Train! Criminal Minds! The Young & The Restless! I live & breathe to stalk him. And it's an IR romance!

Great review! I'm sorry for the excessive exclamation points; it's just Shemar Moore! He makes me tickly in my no-no place.

Auntee HaHa!:0
I liked to imagine Shemar as the hero, rather than Denzel Washington (the hero supposedly resembled Denzel--not that there's anything wrong with him)!

message 16: by Desperado (new)

Desperado My mother has a crush on Denzel Washington...& Robert De Niro. o_O I think Shemar Moore makes for a much better visual. DW was sexy back in the day but he's got old man gut now.