Jenn Estepp's Reviews > The Romeo And Juliet Code

The Romeo And Juliet Code by Phoebe Stone

May 05, 11

bookshelves: kidlit, historically-speaking
Read in May, 2011

So, when this book first came out, all I head about it was people complaining about the cover, because it doesn't scream World War II historical. And I felt a little bad on it's behalf, not least of which because my mom was a kid in the forties and she totally rocked the jeans like 90% of the time, if the snapshots are to be believed. And then it took for-freaking-ever for me to get my hands on a library copy and in that interim I think my wanting-to-like-it grew to an unreasonable degree (I admit it; if you tell me I can't have something, it makes me want it more and more and more). And this little book, solid little thing that it is, just couldn't scale those heights. But, I liked it and I liked that it was a historical that didn't beat you over the head with it's historicalness. It did, however, beat you over the head with the term "British child" which drove me absolutely bonkers. Like, seriously.

Anyway, it's good but not great. I liked the characters but I'll probably forget them any day now.

And the cover *is* misleading. But not because it doesn't scream historical (I'm totally okay with that; I hate the stereotypical historical covers) or because the kids are wearing jeans and chucks, but because it makes the book seem all lovey-dovey kissy face, and it's totes not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Romeo And Juliet Code.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Liz (Consumed by Books) It really did beat one over the head with the British child thing. However, I thought this one had excellent character growth and a good plot, so I really enjoyed it.