Beth Shapeero's Reviews > St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves

bookshelves: book-club
Recommended to Beth by: Katie Gardner
Recommended for: Everybody
Read from May 04 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This was our first Broadway book club book and an excellent choice by Katie Gardner. I think we were all blown away by the creativity and imagination that has been poured into these 10 short stories.

The stories feature strange glimpses into the lives of children, most of whom are outsiders - often outcast and lonely. Russell has an amazing ability to capture those naive yet potent emotions and thought processes of the immature imagination. The depth of metaphorical language and meaning in the storeys is extraordinarily rich and was great fun to pick apart in book club.

Most of the tales had non-endings which I found a little disappointing as a reader because I felt involved with the characters and wanted more, yet I don’t regard this as one of the books problems as the stories tie up metaphorically (not that I understand them all fully) and I think it is absolutely okay to have stories that do not follow the beginning, middle and end formula. They are slices of life which is often what we are shown in cinema (particularly French) and art, why should literature conform?

Definitely one which deserves a re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves.