Ellie's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Dec 11, 11

bookshelves: fiction, asia, 2011ind-chal200bks, pomo
Read from October 29 to December 10, 2011

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami is wonderful, familiar Murakami-land... taken to new levels. The story, the characters, the themes, everything both separately and taken together is incredibly satisfying. There are cults, children, and a permeable boundary between "reality" and the supernatural. There is everything Murakami fans expect and want from their Murakami-plus. The love story is touching, the characters more than usually well-drawn, and the plot/s interesting. It drags a bit occasionally in the mid-points but on the whole, considering how huge the book is, it reads quickly.

I'm not impartial, though: I love Murakami generally and this one in particular.
24 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.

10/29/2011
4.0% "I began this novel feeling, frankly, scared. If I hadn't pre-ordered it, I wouldn't have bought it right now. It's expensive and long and has already been praised beyond belief (talk of the Nobel!) that I was completely intimidated. But from the first line, I felt safely at home in the Murakami universe, a place I loved long before I knew enough to be intimidated by it. I love the beginning & am so glad to have it!"
11/03/2011
18.0% "Wonderful familiar Murakami-land taken to new levels. So far, incredibly satisfying. The presence of cults, children, and a permeable boundary between "reality" and the supernatural..."
11/05/2011
26.0% "I find both of the main characters, Tengo and Aomame, fascinating-the plot around Tengo, all about books & writing may be of more intrinsic interest to me but there are aspects to Aomame & her "world" experience that make her story equally strong."
11/12/2011
42.0% "Continually engrossing and unpredictable."
11/18/2011
55.0% "This middle part is a bit more disturbing than I usually find Murakami-& oddly dull as well. But only dull in a comparative sense: I'm still totally engaged"
11/23/2011
66.0% "Work & life slowed down my reading :( but I'm hoping to immerse myself back in Murakami-land for the next few days. The story has picked up the pace again & I can hardly stay away."
11/29/2011
71.0% "Picking up speed again. The story and me."
12/04/2011
78.0% "Don't know if it's me or the book but I'm having trouble staying focused and keeping on. I have been sick so maybe if it's that. Hopefully, I'll get caught up in it again. Does anyone know if this volume contains all 3 of the books Murakami wrote?"
12/05/2011
85.0% "I have actually been reading this book without any expectation of ever finishing. But now...well, it looks like I might. And I'm getting curious about how the stories end."
12/09/2011
96.0% "*wail* I don't want it to end!"
12/11/2011
100.0% "*sadly* I finished it. It was great."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 8: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa You are making me want to go out and buy this book this very instant. Still enjoying?

Ellie Yes, yes, and yes.

I am sooo loving this book! I'm about 12% into it. If you love Murakami, I'm pretty sure you'll love this book too.

Gearóid Just got this for Christmas....good review.Will give it a go now.

Ellie Thank you. I loved this one. Of course, it helped that I already loved Murakami but I think this is truly an excellent work.

Gearóid Your welcome.
It looks like quite a challenge.
But i will give it a good go.
I have some other Murikami books "Kafka On The Shore" and "A Wild Sheep Chase" but have to got started on them yet...lol...but if i can read 1Q84 i think i can read anything.
I will let you know how i get on.

Dave Bolton I liked your review. I just finished 1Q84. It took me 4 to 5 weeks. That sounds like a long time. I guess I am just slow (and busy). I also picked up "Blind Willow Sleeping Woman" which is a collection of short stories and found "1Q84" easier to get in to.

Ellie I think 4-5 weeks for IQ84 seems reasonable. Besides, it's too fun to rush.

message 1: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Iverson I would have to agree with the aspect of the supernatural. I really like this aspect especially when Tengo's father tells him that they are all in a vacuum. This really grasped my attention and helped me continue to read. This shows how the author was capable of grasping someone's attention. I found the characters to be very intricate and deep. Though many scenes appear to be more banter on very weird subjects, this still does not fail to entertain. I also really enjoy towards the ending when there was great build up to them exiting 1Q84.