Ashley's Reviews > White Cat

White Cat by Holly Black

May 22, 11

bookshelves: first-in-a-series, magic, covers-i-like, favorites, books-that-rocked-my-world
Recommended for: Anyone and Everyone
Read from May 21 to 22, 2011

Is Holly Black amazing, or is Holly Black amazing? I mean, WOW. I started this book last night and finished it well under twenty-four hours. It grabbed hold of me from the very first page and refused to let go. Within minutes, this book and the world Holly built began to feel real to me. The characters are different than most, but in a good way, a unique way. The plot is fast-paced, intriguing, and at times, gut wrenching. The abilities and lore Holly has created for her characters present a society that I would both love and be terrified to live in. Knowing that with one touch, one miscalculation, you could be killed or injured; your memories erased, blocked, and/or replaced with new memories, false memories; your body transformed into anything-living or not; your emotions altered-your body, mind, and heart ceasing to truly be your own. It is, well, both terrifying and thrilling to think about. However, this is not to say that all curse workers are bad, because they are not. In fact, some can provide you with luck and amulets to protect you from those who mean to do you harm (although, one should beware, because there are a lot of frauds out there, and after one time of protecting you an amulet ceases to work and must be replaced). The magic also does not come without consequences, and the more powerful the “curse” the more powerful the blowback the “worker” will face (this is, in some cases, deadly). Verdict: You will devour this book. Usually I would write a more detailed description about a book I felt this strongly about, but I’m not going to. Because, well, I want to go and buy RED GLOVE before my local bookstore closes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Cat.

Quotes Ashley Liked

Holly Black
“The easiest lies to tell are the ones you want to be true.”
Holly Black, White Cat

Holly Black
“Clever as the Devil and twice as pretty.”
Holly Black, White Cat

05/21/2011 page 32
10.0% "I am loving this story! *May just stay up and read late into the night*"