Ronyell's Reviews > Cendrillon: A Caribbean Cinderella

Cendrillon by Robert D. San Souci

Cendrillon

I have read many different versions of “Cinderella” during my time, but this is the first time I have heard of a Caribbean version of the classic fairy tale! “Cendrillon: A Caribbean Cinderella” is a unique retelling of the classic fairy tale by Robert D. San Souci along with illustrations by Brian Pinkney and it is about a young woman named Cendrillon who, with the help of her godmother, tries to go to the ball to meet the handsome prince! “Cendrillon: A Caribbean Cinderella” is a brilliant retelling of the classic Cinderella tale that everyone will love!

I have really enjoyed this version of the classic fairy tale! Robert D. San Souci has, as usual, done an excellent job at retelling this French-Caribbean folktale and what I really loved about Robert D. San Souci's writing is that it is told from the godmother's point of view. This aspect of the story was quite unusual for me since I have always read the story from Cinderella's point of view and this was the first time that I have read a version of Cinderella from the godmother's point of view. I really did enjoy seeing the story told from the fairy godmother's point of view because it really helped me see how close the godmother was to Cendrillon and you gain a better understanding of the story if it is told from a first person's point of view. Another aspect of the story I really loved was how the godmother was so close to Cendrillon that you can see the relationship as more like a mother and daughter relationship and it made the book so heartwarming to read through. As I love to read in various fairy tales and folktales that originate from other countries, I was glad that there was a French Creole translation key at the end of the book since it really helped me understand the story much better and I love learning about languages from different countries, so this was a treat to read! Brian Pinkney's illustrations are beyond beautiful in this book as all the characters look extremely realistic yet colorful at the same time. I loved the scratchy look that Brian Pinkney provided to the illustrations since it really made the illustrations stand out. My favorite illustration int his book was of the mansion of Monsieur Thibault as his mansion is huge and is surrounded by palm trees and flowers and the purple sky really brought out the true beauty of seeing a lit up mansion at night!

Cendrillon

Overall, “Cendrillon: A Caribbean Cinderella” is a fantastic retelling of Cinderella that every child who love fairy tales will definitely enjoy for many years! I would recommend this book to children ages five and up since the French Creole language might be hard for younger children to understand.

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Banner
13 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cendrillon.

Ellie I did a curriculum a few years ago with my students in which we read Cinderella stories from around the world (& finished the unit by writing our own version-they did a great job!).

Cendrillon: A Caribbean Cinderella was one of my (if not probably my most) favorites. Pinkney's illustrations are terrific & the version just generally sparked my imagination!

Terrific review Ronyell! Thank you.

Ronyell You're welcome Ellie!! I'm glad you enjoyed this version too!! It was one of my favorite versions of Cinderella too!! I'm definitely looking forward to reading more versions of Cinderella from around the world too!!

Ellie I should go find my curriculum copy & get you my list. There's an adorable one using pigs as the characters & a beautiful African one. Sadly my mind no longer easily retains things like titles.

Ronyell Thanks Ellie!! That sounds great! I would love to learn more about Cinderella around the world!

Ellie I will look for those books (or at least the list).

Ronyell Alright!

message 7: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim This looks so interesting! I just put it on hold at the library.

Ronyell Jim wrote: "This looks so interesting! I just put it on hold at the library."

Awesome! This is a really good book to read!

message 9: by Kristin (KC) (new)

Kristin (KC) Lovely review, friend! :)

Ronyell Kristin (KC) wrote: "Lovely review, friend! :)"

Thanks!!!

message 11: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Witzler I adore San Souci's Sukey and the Mermaid, as well. We'll add this to our "Cinderella" collection.

Ronyell Karen wrote: "I adore San Souci's Sukey and the Mermaid, as well. We'll add this to our "Cinderella" collection."

Yeah! I loved Sukey and the Mermaid!