Lauren's Reviews > Regarding the Pain of Others

Regarding the Pain of Others by Susan Sontag

May 05, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 03 to 05, 2011

Fascinating and insightful, this book goes onto a short list of "must read" that I would recommend to anyone who is looking to take a more critical look at how they interact with the world. The book, while short and written in an approachable tone, offers many suggestions on how to think critically about the influences of media, especially that of violent and graphic images, on our concepts of right, wrong, morality, and our own personal sense of placement in the world.

While I found the book to become slightly more politicized near the end with statements which were made as fact but without qualifying examples to support, nevertheless, it is impossible to deny that this book had a profound impact on my methods of coping with the modern day inundation of gory scenes, what it means to want to see them or to be repulsed by them, and maybe a hint in the right direction towards tackling the contradicting notions of disgust, horror, and frustrating helplessness I seem to feel when confronted with these images.

An excellent read. No conclusions were made by the end, but I feel better prepared to turn on, or not turn on, the news.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Regarding the Pain of Others.