Amanda's Reviews > The Great Night

The Great Night by Chris Adrian

Jun 15, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary-prose
Read from June 10 to 15, 2011

I saw him read a chapter of this at UC Berkeley, and, having read neither any of his work nor A Midsummer Night's Dream, I was blown away by his beautiful visual writing style, and how quickly I was drawn into the story. Also, as a San Francisco native, I am super excited to read this homage to the magical potentials of our city.

So now that I've read it, and /The Children's Hospital/(Jordan Sasscock, what's up with that), I think I've gotten pretty familiar with Adrian's style, and I really like it. I miss reading books about magic and fairies and really impossible things, that allow you to just let the words happen and, you know, picture it in your mind, without needing a reason. Sure, /The Time Traveler's Wife/ is sort of like that, but /The Great Night/ is so much less heavy and a lot more fun. But I digress. A lovely book, a lot of things happen in the end, and a lot of fun to imagine -- the images conjured are so pretty and romantic, and it helps if you're familiar with San Francisco and sort of "get" the geography, the streets, and the little asides, i.e. fancy cheese shops, the treelessness of the Marina.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Night.

06/13/2011 page 100