Elizabeth's Reviews > Shatter

Shatter by Elizabeth C. Mock

May 03, 11

Read in February, 2011

I'm giving this four stars because there were several things I loved about the book and only a couple of things I didn't like.

First the good: The author creates a rich cast of characters. She skillfully immerses you in their world so that by the end of the book, you feel attached to them. The use of magic in the book is imaginative and entertaining- I loved that there were different kinds of magic represented by different colors (although they were confusing at first). The plot line was engaging, it reminded me a little of The Lord of the Rings. The protagonist starts off on a quest of great importance, and along the way picks up strangers who insist on accompanying her (all for various reasons) on her journey. Themes of friendship, redemption, paternal protectiveness, and loyalty are all integral to the plotline.

Now, the not so good: The author's constant shifting of point of view between characters was disorienting, especially in the first several chapters. I don't have a problem with the story being told from more than one character's perspective, but I think it is too confusing to switch POV several times in one scene. It makes it more difficult to really identify with the characters if the POV is constantly changing. Also, the novel had a few mistakes that should have been caught in the editing process, but none that truly distracted me.

Despite the minor problems with the book, I would enthusiastically recommend this novel. The author is very talented and I am eagerly anticipating the next installment in this series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter.