Farrah's Reviews > The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2)

The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2) by Grace Burrowes

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: book-reviews, my-books
Read from May 03 to June 26, 2011

The Soldier by Grace Burrowes was a story of two people who in my mind were anything but who they portrayed outwardly and a little girl. I enjoyed Grace Burrowes first book in the trilogy, The Heir so I knew I’d likely enjoy this one. What I didn’t know was how much the story of the ex-soldier brother would touch me emotionally. When I “met” St. Just in the first novel, I honestly thought he was arrogant and a little bit of a jerk. In The Soldier, I probably cried about 3 times MINIMUM while reading. I fell in love with Devlin St. Just. On the exterior he was the protector, the hard obedient soldier. The man you wanted at your back. Inside, once you got to know him, he was absolutely beautiful. He took in an orphan (Bronwyn) roaming his newly acquired land right away without much hesitation. He fell in love with that orphan as if she were his own child and loved that child’s “guardian” so simply and unconditionally. He was a fair man as well who didn’t push or become violent. He was at some points too patient and fair in my opinion. How could you not fall in love? I do have to admit, it was a little awkward with a couple scenes where he was having a moment of weakness with his brother in law and his younger brother. In fact his own father thought perhaps he was turning “Nancy” (or maybe it was “Molly”). But I believe I understand why Burrowes included those scenes. It showed the softer, more human side of him. Perhaps even the little boy in him in need of emotional support. In regards to the female in this story, Emmaline, she is probably the first female “heroine” to annoy me. I can understand her dilemma in what she thinks is best for Bronwyn on some levels but I wanted to smack her around a bit when it came to Devlin. There were times I just thought she was flat out selfish and stupid for not opening her eyes wide enough. I VERY MUCH look forward to reading about the younger brother, Val. I seem to like him more and more each time he appears and I wonder who will capture this talented man’s heart next.

My Book [Rating: 4 out of 4]

The Book Faery Reviews & Grace Burrowes

The Book Faery Reviews & Grace Burrowes

An Introduction to the Heroes of The Duke’s Obsession Series {Guest #Author: Grace Burrowes + #Book #Giveaway} - Book Giveaway ends June 30th.
June e-book deals from Sourcebooks - The Heir $.99,  The Soldier $2.99, this month only.
The Heir {#Book Review}
Grace Burrowes {#Author #Interview}

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2).