di's Reviews > The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance

The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker

May 03, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, lds
Read in May, 2011

I'm still giggling. Okay, I'm usually not an LDS fiction reader, and this is NOT LDS fiction. I repeat, it is NOT LDS fiction. It is so much better! For one, Elna is real. It is a memoir, for the record, but I also mean REAL..as in...Elna has real struggles. She is not perfect, nor does she always make the best choices. Her life is not a fairy-tale, and it isn't all "happy ever after." The book is not preachy...although it did strengthen my faith. Mostly. ;)

A quick read for me--24 hours. Enjoyable. A bit on the naughty side for the average Mormon reader (if your favorite book is "The Work and the Glory," this may not be the book for you), but hey, my mom recommended it to me! I'm still a little surprised by that fact, but Elna won her over in the end. I kind of think she read it to understand all her wayward children a little better.

The best part of this book for me (besides the humor, Elna is awesome) is that Elna really shows the cyclical nature of faith. All too often we hear stories of conversion, then it's all happy ever after...no turning back, never another struggle. But Elna's story feels more authentic to me: question. doubt. searching. revelation. faith. back around again with bigger questions and doubts. It's more of a spiral than a linear journey. Her spiritual experiences gain power because of her authenticity.

I want to meet Elna Baker.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance.