Vicky Titcomb's Reviews > I've Never Met an Idiot on the River: Reflections on Family, Fishing, and Photography

I've Never Met an Idiot on the River by Henry Winkler

F_50x66
Jan 15, 12

Read from May 03, 2011 to January 15, 2012

I absolutely loved this book! It's great for people who love fly fishing, but there's so much more to it. It's no coincidence that the title lists family first. Henry is a devoted family man and his time on the river is very much about family. (Although we learn right off the bat that he's also a very competitive fisherman and can't be in the same boat as his wife because his fly will find its way to her waters in a heartbeat if he thinks there's a fish there!) The writing is wonderful and beautiful photos help us see Montana through his eyes.

Henry is funny and self-effacing and a genuinely good and warm person. There is so much about his philosophy in the book. His perseverance as he learns to fly fish mirrors his approach to life. He sets a goal to succeed in doing something he loves and works tirelessly towards that goal - with a great deal of joy and humor along the way. Since Henry struggled with dyslexia, it has a real appeal to older children and adults who have dyslexia as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I've Never Met an Idiot on the River.