Daniel Roy's Reviews > A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

May 03, 11

bookshelves: fantasy

This book doesn't need a lengthy review: if you liked the first book, then buy this one, you'll like it exactly as much. The follow-up to the first book is so well-crafted and exactly in the tone of the first, that the two could well be two halves of one book.

The story progresses somewhat slowly in the first half, but at this point, the reader has come to know and care so much for the characters that this is not a problem; anyway, the finale more than makes up for it. The shining star of this book is definitely Tyrion, the ultimate anti-hero if I ever saw one, who manages to totally defeat the classification between hero and villain. I found myself wishing the next Tyrion chapter would come along, although all characters, in their own way, made me yearn for their next chapter.

Two new characters are given their own chapters in this novel, Theo and Davos. I found this somewhat irritating at first because I felt they did not contribute to the story, but both have a role to play in the story that makes it more than worthwhile to read their chapters through.

I look forward immensely to 'A Storm of Swords', after two such incredible novels.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clash of Kings.