Kate's Reviews > Abandon

Abandon by Meg Cabot

May 03, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, young-adult
Read on May 03, 2011

Meg Cabot is a goddess. She writes fantasy books that don’t feel like fantasy books. Like Avalon High. Oh, so the King Arthur myth is all real and we’re living it? Ok, cool, no big deal. And she carried that same sense of normalcy to Abandoned. The premise of this book is crazy and fantastical, but it never felt that way reading it because Pierce is amazingly grounded. She is so rational and calm, even at the times of the most crazy, and I really appreciated that about her. It also really fit in with what an outsider she felt like – how it was so hard for her to relate to her peers. It made this book so very human – Pierce wants to be able to relate to everyone like she used to (especially her Mother), but she just can’t, and the consequences of it follow her everywhere. It’s so smart and metaphorical and deeply impressing. And I liked John, too. I felt like I shouldn’t like him for a lot of the book. He was flawed and broken and so deeply unsure about everything and so saddled with this task that it was pretty clear made him miserable. But…I liked him anyway. I liked him because Pierce liked him. She really carried this book and its plot, which was so well written and the perfect balance of a little bit tragic, a little bit mysterious, a little bit funny, and a lot bit good to read. I figure that, unlike so many YA heroines lately, I could trust Pierce to be smart. I could trust her to step away when she needed to and to fix things. For me, the fantasy in this book (though both important and excellent) was secondary to her and her story. I didn’t realize until I was about fifteen pages from the end that this had to be the opening of a sequel and I was on the one hand disappointed that I’d have to wait around for the end and on the other so stoked that it wasn’t the end.(

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandon.

05/03/2011 page 78
24.0% "This book is crazily riveting."