Chuck Kierpiec's Reviews > 1861: The Civil War Awakening

M 50x66
May 25, 2011

bookshelves: history
Read from May 03 to 22, 2011

Decided to read this because the New York Times has started a series commemmorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. I knew some basics about how the whole thing started, but I didn't understand all of the steps that led to the first shots being fired. The book not only gives you that story up front, but tons of other interesting info about what was going on in the months leading up to Fort Sumter in other regions of the country, and what ultimately got the war effort mobilized on the Union side.

You get a complete and detailed rundown of the confederates' siege of Fort Sumter and Lincoln's carefully thought out strategy to resupply it in a way to ensure that the confederates would have to be the aggressors. But there's more -- I had never heard of Elmer Ellsworth or the story of how his death mobilized a massive wave of volunteers. I learned how the state of Missouri, a slaveholding state, was prevented from going into the confederacy. The book also tells how California was kep from going over to the confederacy. Solid history -- gave the big-picture story I was looking for and plenty of interesting anecdotes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1861.