Julie Davis's Reviews > The Man in the Queue

The Man in the Queue by Josephine Tey

Jul 30, 11

Read from July 26 to 29, 2011

I must have read this before but, if so, have very little memory of it. The mystery is an interesting one. In the crush of a line waiting for last minute tickets to the last performance of a hit West End play, a man is stabbed. The crush of the line holds him up for long enough that at least ten minutes have gone by before the crowd breaks up some and he falls to the ground. In the swell of people no one noticed him being stabbed or any particular person who came or went. And he has very few personal items on him as well as no I.D.

Can Inspector Grant figure out who he is, get a description of a possible murderer and solve the case?

It must happen, but at this point I don't see how. Superb writing style as with all of Tey's books.

Update:
This is turning out to be riveting, watching Inspector Grant patiently track down the murderer by dint of tiny clues and following up on mistakes that have been made. It has taken him from the city to the Scottish countryside and the descriptive writing just keeps on giving.

Final:
This was great right up until the end where the killer was suddenly dropped on us out of heaven, with very few clues beforehand. I disapproved of that. Although, like Inspector Grant, I had glimmerings of a certain person's involvement but without any proof. Other than that annoying conclusion, though, I liked it very much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man in the Queue.

07/28/2011 page 70