Janice Williams's Reviews > My Beginning

May 12, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy, young-adult-fiction
Recommended for: teenagers 15 and up, and women
Read in September, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 3

Disclaimer: The publishing company I founded, Lucky Press LLC, is the publisher of My Beginning by Melissa Kline. Therefore, instead of a reader review, I'd like to share why, of the hundreds of manuscripts Lucky Press receives each year, I (for it is I who have the final decision) chose to publish My Beginning.

My introduction to Melissa Kline was through email and her query was perfectly written and clearly explained the premise of her young adult novel. Though I am not personally drawn to dystopian-type stories or movies, there was something about Melissa as an author and the main character, Ivory, as a 16-year-old girl living in an "institution" that drew me in. Ivory, like many teenage girls, is insecure about her appearance, a bit self-conscious around some of the other girls she lives with, and wanting more of all the wonderful world she can only glimpse beyond the walls of her current situation.

The author did an excellent job creating the enclosed world Ivory lives in, and instilling her character with a specific personality and voice and with the hope of a better future. When Ivory begins a close friendship with Aidan, a teenage boy also trapped in the same place, the story picks up and escape is not going to be far behind.

Melissa Kline has written ten novels and My Beginning is the first one of her manuscripts to be published in book form. (My Beginning will have a simultaneous paperback and Kindle-ebook release). While this is her debut novel, Melissa's professionalism and the wonderful, strategic steps she has taken to lay the foundation of her career as an author are so impressive.

She is the founder of the Rocky Mountain Women Writers group. She is also very artistic and produces beautiful miniatures (including scenes from her books), prop displays (for example, the clothes and items Ivory and Aidan would own), and photographs. You can see all these cool things on her website (melissaklineauthor.com), her blog, Reflections on Writing, and/or on her Facebook page.

These extra activities, bring a reality to My Beginning that settles in with the reader and, along with her top-knotch writing skills, roots Ivory, Aidan and the other "good guys" into your heart.

As Ivory and Aidan make their way outside the institution, they encounter friends and foes and Ivory's biggest challenge is in making a decision about what she can and cannot accept in the person she loves. The dilemma is set within the scene of a sci-fi world, but the question is one many readers will see relates to their life as well. In other words, there are archetypal characters and themes in My Beginning, but it all reads as a fast-paced romantic suspense, appropriate for readers 15 and older. (I'm 3x that age and I enjoyed the book, too!)

Lucky Press is offering three copies of My Beginning by Melissa Kline in the Goodreads giveaway program. You can see the book trailer (done wonderful by the author) at "luckypressllc" on YouTube.

You won't want to miss getting a first edition copy of Melissa Kline's debut novel. Lucky Press is a small press (10 years old, 30 titles) and we were lucky to obtain the rights to this book, but I predict larger publishers will swoop down before long and snatch up the rights to Melissa Kline's other work. And, I will be happy for her because she deserves it and readers will then be able to enjoy her work for many years to come. But I can always say that Lucky Press published My Beginning!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Beginning.