Elise's Reviews > Ask Supernanny: What Every Parent Wants to Know

Ask Supernanny by Jo Frost

May 03, 2011

bookshelves: parenting
Read in May, 2011

This is actually a pretty great book with lots of practical advice. Some of the techniques/methods are probably things you already do; however, she breaks them down step by step which really makes them seem not only manageable, but easy to remember in the "heat of the moment" ;). A lot of it is just plain common sense, but it just helps to reinforce things you already know sometimes!

Advice I want to remember:
-Only give ONE warning to a child misbehaving. More than one warning will teach them that you don't really mean it.
-Be a "Speaking Clock" to a child who has issues with coming and going
-The "Naughty Chair" technique
-Use a timer during Time Out and let the child see it (not hold it).
-Establishing ground rules for mealtimes
-Your toddler/preschooler won't eat dinner? Stop giving snacks! Only 1 - 2 cups of juice per day (this is common sense you probably already know, but I have a hard time enforcing it, so it was good to hear it again). Violet would live on juice if she could.
-Picky eater? Let them help prepare the food, explaining how you need different foods from each food group

The ideas for different Reward Charts are creative but simple. I like the one where she used a picture of a castle and a cut-out princess for the child (obviously this is a girly one). The child gets to move the princess towards the castle when she behaves well, away from the castle when she misbehaves. Reaching the castle means she gets a treat.

I skimmed over the baby and newborn sections--but there really weren't that many. I think this is meant more for toddlers, little kids, and big kids.

I didn't agree with absolutely everything (e.g. leaving a child in the crib till the age of 3), but for the most part, Jo Frost gives great advice. A "no-nonsense" approach to parenting :).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ask Supernanny.

08/05/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by barbie (new)

barbie I really want to know how you read so much!! you must be watching less TV. I am so proud of you.

Elise Thanks :). I'm trying!