Lisa's Reviews > Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception

Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

May 03, 2011

bookshelves: scholastic

Originally posted at Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

On the night of a music competition where she plans to play the harp, a mysterious boy worms his way into Deirdre Monaghan's life, pushing her to strive for excellence and to be all she can be. When they spontaneously duet together to play a beautiful and harmonious piece, Dee knows that he's different and not like any other boy she's ever known. People have always said that her music was perfect and that she was a very talented girl but now, Luke's seeing her for who she really is - not for her music, but for just being Dee.

Luke Dillon is the unfamiliar boy Dee's been seeing in her increasingly dark dreams. After witnessing his scarily realistic torture the night before, Dee is baffled when the handsome boy holds back her hair while she's vomiting, offering her words of comfort and encouragement for her performance ahead. Luke is forever secretive, but the two are drawn to each other and inevitably fall in love. Luke's protectiveness is endearing and the romance was written very well. If you've read Maggie's Wolves series, you'll be familiar with the sweet, yet dark, love her characters experience. I must say that I enjoyed this novel more than the Wolves series, as there was a lot more action and the romance wasn't as "perfect". Dee also has an amazing best friend, James, a cute bagpipe player who's there for her whenever she needs. Of course, he's in love with her but that doesn't turn him into a jealous ogre. BFFs forever!

I loved the storyline of Lament. Faeries (not tiny little things with wings) are drawn to Dee because of her special musical talent and she'll be killed if she isn't careful. The novel deals with Dee's growing powers, her run from ruthless enemies and quest for answers. There is never a dull moment and you'll be kept thoroughly entertained until the last page. The mysteries are endless!

Grab your iron, people. You'll need it to protect yourselves! Here on our hands is another great novel by Maggie Stiefvater. I absolutely cannot wait to see what else she has in store for us! If you like faeries, a good love story, some shady (as opposed to dark) adventure and scary antagonists, this is the book for you. There is suspense of epic proportions so clear out your schedule for a one-sitting read! Prepare for some shocking twists too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lament.

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy lol we really do like the same books! I have this in my TRP too. Is it good so far:D

Lisa No idea! This is what I plan to read in about 10 minutes after I get ready for bed. I've just been crazy chatting on Twitter and studying haha. I'll let you know though ;)

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Hope it's good!Good night:)

Lisa I really like what I'm seeing so far! :) Read about half before sleeping. *thumbs up*