Maren's Reviews > Erasure

Erasure by Percival Everett

Feb 27, 08

bookshelves: favorites
Read in January, 2008

I took an advanced fiction class from Percival Everett and admired him immensely as a teacher and person, so I finally got around to reading one of his books. I had taken a look at "Glyph" before, but "Erasure" really got me. It's the story of a brilliant Black man who defies popular (and forced) stereotypes about black men - not unlike Everett himself though I'm sure he would resent comparisons intensely.

The character - Monk - is so discouraged by the lack of audience his uber-intellectual books receive and the publishing world's unthinking acceptance of badly written "black" novels that he writes a parody of "black" literature called "My Pafology," later retitled "Fuck". The story revolves around what happens when this book becomes a runaway success and Monk must face the monster he's created.

The language is stunningly effortless and the work is one of those meta-fiction, postmodern books that aren't utterly repulsive/inauthentic to read. It's a pretty quick read as well and is almost entirely worth it just for the text of "My Pafology" which Everett actually gives in the center of the book.

Definitely a must-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Erasure.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Maren That's awesome that you knew Everett (we always found him just imposing enough to refer to him by his last name only when he wasn't around). And how nice to meet someone who was at USC :) I'm considering heading back out to California, but to Northern California this time. Glad you liked my book reviews and nice to meet you.

Shannon Pretty jealous you had the fortune to take one of his fiction classes. Lucky girl.

Maren I *was* very lucky! I definitely was.