Parajunkee's Reviews > Bumped

May 05, 11

did not like it
bookshelves: for-review, reviewed
Read from May 03 to 05, 2011

What can I say about BUMPED? Compared the wonderful other dystopian titles that have been released this year, BUMPED, well should be BUMPED, right off the shelf. Rilly, rilly. This book was for shock value only, a controversial topic was picked, expounded upon but was not taken to a logical conclusion. It was all window dressing with no heart or soul. The concept was interesting but the implementation was mind-numbingly vapid. Yet, the whole time I was reading it was like a train-wreck - I just couldn't stop, no matter how bad it was.

In the future of BUMPED adults over the age of 20, because of some widely spread disease were infertile. It became the patriotic thing to do for teenagers to get pregnant and hand over their babies for adoption. Yet, as the evil consumers got a hold of the phenomenon they began to profit on birthing. Hence, Pros and Ams were born. Pros are girls that are sponsored by couples desperate for children. Their "sperm" is chosen for them and they are given money to stay pristine until their optimal conception time when the hired sperm steps in and they BUMP. Purely professional. Then their are the Ams, the amateurs who just BUMP with their boyfriends, or in orgy parties, or just with random optimal sperm donors around their school.

Melody has been primed for her PRO position since she was a newborn. Her parents, economist rightly guessed the way the world was heading and prepped their perfectly adopted child to be a high grossing baby making machine. They just didn't expect for Melody's identical twin sister to show up in her godreak attire and change Melody's whole world.

All I can say is that someone was watching a little too many Sixteen and Pregnant on MTv and came up with this book. Complete train wreck. Let's write a book with a lot of sex talk, religious talk and consumerism talk - squish it all together in one controversial read and let everything sort itself out in the end. I surprised they didn't pair it with a little global warming - you know maybe that could have been the reason for the infertility.

Dislikes -
The vapid future speak, works like bump, preggy, rilly, it was forced and halfway through a paragraph I would be completely confused because I wasn't following all the trendy jive and then it would smooth down into normal speak
How everything was so extreme - the religious twin was dressed from head to foot and even in a veil, they had fake pregnancy bumps that tweens would wear around because it was cool to be pregnant. Seemed a bit unrealistic.
The fact that this wasn't really a dystopian. Melody was railing against an ideology instead of a ruling body.
It was like Brave New World meets Tila Tequlia.
There was just really no plot, just a lot of controversial topics.

Likes -
The idea was original.
I can't recommend this book. I also do not recommend this for teens. And it is not about the sex or the cursing or the hinting at racism, orgies, and blatant materialistic behavior. No, it is none of those things. It was the fact that all of those things are included in this book, but there is no definitive message interlaced in with these things to counteract the negative messages. Yes, in the end Melody railed against the box she was placed within - but it wasn't because she had her own way of thinking and needed to express herself. No, it was because of the actions of other people around her. In the end she made the right decision because of choices other people made for her, not because of herself. It just painted a bad picture and I don't think this is suitable for young consumption.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bumped.

05/03/2011 page 175
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie I have seen mixed reviews on this one, so I'm holding off for a while.

Parajunkee It is nothing compared to the greats we have been reading.

Lola (Reading by Lamplight) I'm with Julie. I've read a lot of mixed review, so I'm waiting.

Jill Huh. It sounds great and I'll get it tomorrow but I won't have time to read it for a while anyway due to some Galleys. I hope I like it better, I hate buying "bad" books.

Amanda (Good Choice Reading) Love this review, though I didn't dislike it as much as you. Haha. I did like what we got out of it, but my problem was....we got very little out of it. But I think you summed it up nicely.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, this book sounds like a huge mess! Your review is awesome. My favorite part was this: "It was like Brave New World meets Tila Tequila". That screams trainwreck to me!

message 7: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa "It was like Brave New World meets Tila Tequlia. " Now that's a phrase you don't hear too often! Too funny!

Jill Finally read it. You are so right.

message 9: by Kenya (new) - added it

Kenya Wright WOW! Now I'm hyped to read this, just for the controversy. lol!