Daniel Roy's Reviews > Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future

Deep Economy by Bill McKibben

May 03, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in March, 2009

An important book that challenges your view of the world and our economy; it was published before the economic crisis of 2008, and in retrospect it is downright prescient. Its central theorem is simple: happiness and sustainability come not from pure economic growth, but by the nurturing of communities and a sense of belonging. The argument is superbly supported by a series of examples, both in North America and abroad. The result is a hopeful, optimistic, yet urgent manifesto for our times.

Note: I read this book as a follow-up to Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma", and it worked perfectly as a companion piece. Whereas Pollan examines the food chain and the benefits of small-scale, sustainable agriculture, McKibben takes it two steps further by seeing how the same logic used in community farming can be applied to almost every sector of our economy, and why it makes sense. I definitely recommend both these books as a reading set.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Economy.