Kelly's Reviews > Semi-Sweet: A Novel of Love and Cupcakes

212052
May 17, 11

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from May 03 to 16, 2011

Fair disclosure: I got this book as a galley from netgalley.com.

This book was my first try at galleys, which I view as another way to satisfy my insatiable (and very expensive) desire to read. I signed up for the website and requested one of their most popular books, since I've gotten a lot of not-so-good books on the free kindle book list lately, and didn't want to get burned again. I was very pleasantly surprised with this one.

The story revolves around Hannah, a 30-something Irishwoman who has the brilliant idea to open up a cupcake shop in the middle of a recession. There are several other plotlines that spin off of Hannah, but she remains the heart of the story. The opening scene is one where Hannah's boyfriend dumps her, it comes out later for another woman who is pregnant with his child. After that, Hannah is on her own. Well, as "on your own" as you can be when your best (guy) friend moves in with you and your parents are about as perfect as you can wish. All of these people, and their bosses/siblings/parents have their own separate story. It sounds complicated, but the author does a great job of keeping everything straight, simple, and on-point.

I won't go into details of the rest, but I will say that everything is resolved tidily (a must in these types of books) and I walked away feeling like I had just watched Love Actually, one of my favorite movies. The reason I love that movie, and this book, I suppose, is because the creators explore all different kinds of love, and the role it can play in your life. Overall a wonderful read, and perfect for the summer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Semi-Sweet.