Kathryn's Reviews > Dancing in the Wings

Dancing in the Wings by Debbie Allen

Jun 15, 11

bookshelves: ballet-dance-theater, childrens-picture-books
Read in June, 2011

I wanted to like this one more than I did. Debbie Allen is certainly a star in the dance world and I appreciate the experience and expertise she brings to this book. And it's certainly promoting a good message of doing what you love best and doing what you love even when others tell you you can't or shouldn't. Then again, I just wasn't a fan of the way things were presented--there was too much negativity and name-calling for my taste (even if it was mostly resolved in the end) and the story seemed a bit over-long without anything really special happening style-wise. Also, while I'm a huge Kadir Nelson fan (and love the cover illustration), I'm not sure the style in the story really worked for me. I guess I was hoping for a bit more realistic portrayal of the dancers and these felt a bit like caricatures though I'm sure many people will love them. Anyway, there are definitely better dance books out there although this one is still worthwhile with the caveats that there is some name-calling and unkindness in the book that may not sit well with all audiences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing in the Wings.