Pawan's Reviews > Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff by Richard Carlson

M_50x66
May 03, 11

I own a copy, read count: 1

I guess I was trying to put off writing on any Self-Help books because it sometimes is very difficult to write about them. How these books affect or not affect individuals is very personal in nature. But then these books have also been an integral part of my life and this blogging will not be complete if I do not write about them. This book “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff… and It’s All Small Stuff”, has been a great influence on me. The title of the book says it all. The book is a collection of 100 different things that author has mentioned. Each of them is a piece of advice targeted to tell the readers that what small steps they can take in life to make their life better and stress-free.

Even though it is a self-help book, it is written in a very simple form and does not sound very preachy. The content is simple, sometimes may look too simplistic to make any difference. But it is great advice. One of the best that I liked was “Allow yourself to be bored”. It is a very simple statement but it suddenly changes the way you look at your relaxation time. In today’s world people want to “enjoy” their relaxation. They want to “do” things so that they can relax. But the thought that just doing nothing and getting bored can be a great form of relaxation is extremely liberating.

Another one of my favorite is “Get comfortable not knowing”. This is truly another form of “Ignorance is bliss”, something that I have always believed in. Most of the time we want to get as much information as possible and want to know everything, but it is actually good to not know everything. The burden of information can sometime kill us in more ways than one.

There is another which is very simple and very practical that says ”Don’t interrupt others or finish their sentences”. Once again the simplicity of thought is amazing but the impact can be tremendous.

There are total of 100 such pieces of wisdom. I cannot write all of them here. For that you will need to read the book. Everyone may not agree with all of them but I found that it is not necessary as well. Even one or two can bring a change as long as we realize that we are always sweating the small stuff.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.