Brittany Batong's Reviews > Decade of Betrayal: Mexican Repatriation in the 1930s

Decade of Betrayal by Francisco E. Balderrama

May 31, 11

Read in May, 2011

What an eye-opening book! The extent of my knowledge of Mexican Repatriation in the 1930s was drawn from the scene in Mi Familia where the Jennifer Lopez character gets rounded up and deported to Mexico. I had no idea how rampant this so called “movement” was, nor any knowledge of the insidious methods employed by members at every level of government to bully people from their rightful homes. The book provided fresh information about the scapegoating by various factions of both native-born Mexicans and American citizens of Mexican descent. As a woman who is half Mexican American and whose family has been based in Los Angeles County for several generations, this book had me pondering to what extent this hysteria affected my immigrant great-grandparents and their outlook on raising their very American children. I am now able to look at my family history from a fresh perspective. It is important to note that this book is also an excellent source of information regarding life in 1930s Los Angeles and America in general, as well. Whether you have Mexican ancestry, know someone that does, or are just interested in delving deeper into a little-known piece of 20th-century history, this book is a worthwhile read. And, given the current climate of anti-immigration sentiment going around, this book is a necessary reminder that, if we allow history to become forgotten, it will no doubt repeat itself.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Decade of Betrayal.