Joy's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

2711937
May 12, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, young-adult, vampires-and-werewolves, shapeshifters
Recommended for: young adult fans looking for something fresh
Read from April 28 to May 03, 2011

4.5/5 stars!

I haven't been reading young adult recently but when I saw this at the bookstore, I was intrigued. I checked it out and when I saw the reviews, I decided I must read it (but it's after some months after I was able to).

We all know there's been a deluge of young adult fiction that focuses on boring girls getting the special guys, with a totally gloomy atmosphere and trying-to-be-mysterious aura. Twilight really paved the way, and I know I'm being general but novels like that and "Hush, Hush", "Fallen", and the other intrigue-and-interesting-covered books that fell short of the mark really made me wary of reading paranormal young adult fiction. I mean, sure the cover was great but content was thumbs down.

On to my review...

In a nutshell, this one sets them all apart. Kiersten White is an author to watch out for. This story has a first person point of view where Evie, a 16-year-old girl who works for IPCA (International Paranormal Containment Agency), is anything but normal. She's a human surrounded by paranormals and she really kicks ass. It's refreshing to read about someone energetic, someone who grew up in the agency and who yearns to be normal like go to school and be with humans. She's a blast. The only thing we didn't agree about is her favorite color - I totally hate it.

Evie really drew me to her character because she could be your next door neighbor. Ms White really brought her to life, she's just like any other teenager and the only difference is - and we find this later on in the story - her origins. I hate to admit it but the friendship with Lend, or "Water Boy" really made me giddy like a school girl. I know just how she felt about flirting, hanging out, being insecure, and because the 1st person POV was used effectively, I was able to commiserate with her when she doesn't get what she wants, whenever she's anxious, when she's angry and of course, when she's in cloud 9.

What I liked most is how Ms White recreated the paranormal scene in the contemporary setting. I loved her imagination, and the whole vampires-werewolves-fairies paranormals, nymphs, and all those mythical creatures we only read about, but in this world, real. Her take on the other beings were funny, and she twists other characters. There's always the good VS bad, and I loved the mystery surrounding Evie.

I didn't give this a solid 5 because I felt there were still unanswered questions, but I loved the humor and I felt like I'm watching a series. I'm looking forward to reading the next, "Supernaturally".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

05/02/2011
91.0% "I'm enjoying it and I'm almost done, but I'll keep the suspense up for now"
show 1 hidden update…