Kathrynn's Reviews > Dawn's Awakening

Dawn's Awakening by Lora Leigh

Mar 10, 08

bookshelves: own, series-breed_leigh, 2008, hot, romance-scifi, theme-child_abuse, theme-abused_heroine, reviewed
Recommended to Kathrynn by: Auntee
Recommended for: Those that have read earlier books in the Breed Series
Read in March, 2008

This one had me on an emotional roller coaster. Though I read "Megan's Mark," "Harmony's Way", and "Tanner's Scheme" I felt a little lost at the beginning of this book. But, as the author weaved her story it started coming together and I was able to get back into the "know" on the council, sanctuary, etc. This one brought all the breeds together (wolf, coyote, cougar, etc.) and seemed to come full circle with events started in earlier stories, i.e., original breed, grotesque abuse in the labs (children), etc. I felt emotionally drained having practically glued myself to the pages as I read. At one point, I didn't even realize I was crying.

This Reader is anxiously awaiting for Jonas to get his comeuppance!

The next in the breed series is in the anthology "Shifter." The next full-length book on this series is "Mercury's War" (Lion Breed) and Mercury's character is also in "Dawn's Awakening," but barely.

Cassandra's turn at the realm should be a great story, too and I hope the author continues on this writing style with this publisher in lieu of ....er....uh....Ellora's Cave.

Thank you for recommending this one, Auntee!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn's Awakening.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christel (last edited Mar 10, 2008 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christel I agree Totally with you on this book. There were places where I cried and then places where I had to laugh, especially at some of Dawn's witty comebacks. I just now have to get the rest of the books for this series. I also awaiting Jonas' day of reckoning, plus I wanto to know more about Mercury, Styx, and the rest of the Enforcer Breeds

Auntee I'm glad you enjoyed it Kathrynn! You are right about the differences in LL's writing style with the MM paperbacks vs. the Ellora's Cave trade-sized ones. There is way more plot in the MM paperbacks, yet they are still hot and sexy. The EC ones, while they are hot and sexy, there's not as much plot. Unfortunately, I found you have to read the EC ones to get all the details straight in your head. I think the character of Dawn may have been introduced way back in the 1st EC book, Tempting the Beast, which was set 10 years before Dawn's Awakening.
Although a lot of the EC books don't have as much substance (IMO), two of them are among my favorites in the Breeds series--Elizabeth's Wolf, and Soul Deep. I'd recommend these 2 to anyone who's only read the MM ones and would like to branch out a little. Happy reading! :)

message 3: by Willow (new) - added it

Willow Brook I like all these books a whole lot, though I found Dawn's Awakening very difficult to get through at times because of the horrible abuse Dawn suffered.

I'm really looking forward to Bengal's Heart in early August and of course Jonas's story which I believe is due out in November.

Kathrynn This one was very emotional for me, too. I still remember the "save me..."