thefourthvine's Reviews > Bridge to Terabithia

Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

Jun 04, 07

bookshelves: childrens-teen
Read in January, 1984

This is one of the books that taught me that Books Can Hurt. It was part of what I now consider to be my fourth grade teacher's reign of terror - she read Where the Red Fern Grows and Bridge to Terabithia out loud to us (and those are just the books I was in her class for), and I seriously think she did it for the days when, inevitably, the entire class would spend the afternoon weeping at our desks.

That said, though - and it needed to be said - this is a good book; it was so engaging to me at that age that I got it from the library after the first day she read it to us and finished it by myself later that night. (Admittedly, this was not uncommon behavior for me. I did not like reading at other people's paces.) Of course, this meant I got to cry twice, and also spend the intervening time trying not to cry because I knew what was coming.

The characters are engaging. The story is memorable even 25 years later. But this is the book that taught me two important lessons: do not trust Katherine Paterson as far as you can see her, and do not trust fourth grade teachers, either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bridge to Terabithia.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 4: by Eva (new)

Eva I think we must have had the same 4th grade teacher! Lol

Katie I bet your teacher went to teach 8th grade reading to me! We spent the entire year reading nonfiction and sci-fi about nuclear war, and this was during the 80's arms race. I'll never forgive her!

Totally agree with you about Paterson (and I like her stuff). Never read it without chocolate, or beer.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Krueger We read it in 4th grade too! I still think about it. I'll have to read it again!

Tiffany Allen This exactly how I feel about this book. Why did they decide that fourth graders could deal with this type of reality check?