Shane's Reviews > Get in the Van: On the Road With Black Flag

Get in the Van by Henry Rollins

Nov 24, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction, music, read-in-2010
Read in November, 2010

This book totally rocked on audio but now I have the real book and it has TONS of pictures. So it's a "bathroom book". Reading it again just reminds of how much fun it was the first time.

I didn't start going to hardcore shows until 1987 so I missed out on all this (and that really sucks) but reading about it and seeing all these pics is the second best thing. Quotes like "I dove off the stage and landed hard on this guy pinning him to the ground - it ended up being Jello Biafra - sorry chief." Just make you think - wow these guys were real, they were "right there" you could touch them or spit on them or get them to carve their name in your arm...

Finished this for the second time. It got a bit repetitious at the end with all the doomy, "I'm my only friend" stuff. I wonder how Henry feels nowadays. Really it just goes back and forth between, "being on tour is killing me" to "Not being on tour is killing me".

One of my favorite lines is, "If man was meant to fly he would have been born with an airline ticket in his hand." The entries about them playing with Venom were pretty hilarious.

Also recommended if you're into this kind of thing is the "American Hardcore" documentary and Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Get in the Van.