Anastasia's Reviews > Random Acts of Fashion

May 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, harlequin, romance
Read from May 02 to 06, 2011

The town of Timber Bay, Michigan is quaint and close-knit, so when outsider Gillian Caine moves in, Lukas McCoy is suspicious of the New Yorker. Sure, he had a crush on her when they were children, but now that they're grown up, Lukas is convinced that Little Miss Princess is out of her element. After leaving behind New York (and an ex-boyfriend), Gillian's one goal is to open up a couture clothing store and bring some sense of fashion to the denizens of Timber Bay.

Gillian is all set to open her new shop until an accident causes her to sprain her arm -- an accident named Lukas. With Gillian now partly out of commission, a judge orders Lukas to be Gillian's worker bee for the week. Neither are pleased with the situation...at first. Behind closed doors, sparks fly, but during the day the pair fight like cats and dogs. With gossip of the town's legendary "tunnel of love" going around, it's only a matter of time before the two either prove the superstition right.

Random Acts of Fashion was a paperback chick-flick. Filled with laugh-out-loud moments and sharp-tongued dialogue, this book was made to be gobbled up. The pages flew by, and right away I was dumped into small-town Timber Bay, right along with Gillian. Speaking of the Timber Bay, I really appreciated the sprinkled-in descriptions of the town -- between the annual fair, the bakery, and the secondary characters, a good amount of charm and homeyness was brought into the story by it.

"Opposites attract" was definitely the theme of this book. Gillian was a diva, and at times could border on bratty, but her character evolved throughout the story, making me appreciate her gradual development. Lukas was the poster child man for the strong and silent type. His plaid shirts and gruff demeanor reminded me of Luke from Gilmore Girls, and I love me some Luke! All in all, Random Acts of Fashion was the equivalent of an ice cream cone on a summer day: delicious and refreshing, yet short-lived.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Random Acts of Fashion.

05/04/2011 page 93
05/06/2011 page 111
50.0% "The small town setting is absolutely charming!"