Jennifer's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

May 04, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, dystopian, post-apocalyptic
Read on May 03, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I'd give this book 3 1/2 stars if I could. It started out as a 4 or 5, I love the premise and I'm a sucker for dystopian stories. It just lost me in the last half.

***Spoilers ahead***

I am still very confused about what being divergent means. This is what really lost me. At first I thought it just meant that Tris and other divergents did not strongly align with just one characteristic, but then we get the entire story that they can manipulate simulations and are immune to the mind control used in the end. Does that just mean they are strong willed? This honestly seemed like a huge plot hole to me.

Many of the reveals were also WAY too obvious. I knew as soon as Four was introuduced that he was Tobias and I can't imagine most readers did not pick this up. I also can't imagine that NO ONE ribbed him about being a former stiff in front of Tris or her friends. I don't understand how Tris didn't hear from the Dauntless-borns that Four was from Abnegation. If she and Four were the only Abnegation to Dauntless transfers - don't you think SOMEONE would have mentioned this to her? It certainly can't be a secret that Four was from Abnegation.

I was also bothered that no one in Dauntless seemed to be older than 20 something. The Dauntless-borns clearly have parents - where were they? The remark that Dauntless don't tend to live long doesn't make sense if you actually have a new group of 16 year olds every year.

I did like the characters and I like the dystopia setup. I'm sure I'll read the rest of the series but I just thought this book could have been so much better.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.