AH's Reviews > The Strange Case of Finley Jayne

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne by Kady Cross

May 12, 11

bookshelves: kobo-freebies, steampunk, historical, zzread-may2011, prequel
Read from May 10 to 11, 2011

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is the prequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset. I picked up this short novella as a free download from Kobo books. The title and the cover were attractive and its relatively short length encouraged me to read it. I'll admit that while I liked the story, I just wasn't wowed.

It seems to me that a lot of authors are jumping on the steampunk bandwagon. I enjoy the genre; I love the contraptions and gadgets. This story had all sorts of cool gadgets, from simple flush commodes to battery operated lights, to brass automatons and mechanical carts. There was even a Dr. Frankenstein-styled laboratory with some strange items in tanks.

I really can't pinpoint why the story did not wow me. I liked Finley's character, but we are never told what she is. I enjoyed her "spider-monkey" skills. I giggled at a description of Finley's riding costume, which suffered from "eggplantishness." Yes, "eggplantishness."

While I am curious to learn more about Finley, I think I'll wait until the book is available at the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strange Case of Finley Jayne.

05/10/2011 page 15
19.23% "Hmmm. Steam punk. So far Finley's been fired for "protecting" a child from an abusive governess. Looking for the steam punk stuff."
05/11/2011 page 78
100.0% "It was OK. The steam punk elements did finally appear and they were imaginative. Not sure if I will continue reading the next book in the series."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling It will come. Hah.

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Good to hear that. I'm finding that a lot of people are setting their stories in the Victorian age, adding a gadget, and calling it steampunk. It just doesn't feel right. But - I'm not that far in, so I'll have to read more.

Wendy Darling Well...this is not to say that the gadgety stuff is particularly well-thought out. I think the way it's done in this book (and Steel Corset) is pretty nutty, actually, and there's too much of it. I think most fans of steampunk and Victorian are going to be disappointed, but it may appeal to people who don't read as much in those genres.

message 4: by Darkfallen (new)

Darkfallen Eggplantiness!! Hah if we are talking purple so dark it's almost black? Then I loves it! One of my fav colors....but I'm not sure this book would be for me. I kinda think when it comes to Steampunk I should just stick to Gail Carriger lolz.

Nice review AH!

message 5: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Thanks, Darkfallen.

Have you tried Meljean Brook's The Iron Duke? She writes steampunk well. If you are looking for YA steampunk - Philip Reeve has a great series - The Hungry Cities Chronicles - Mortal Engines is the first book.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Awesome review AH!!

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars