Miss Reviewer's Reviews > A Job From Hell

A Job From Hell by Jayde Scott

May 31, 11

Read in May, 2011

Head over to yabookscentral.com for more of my reviews.
I was torn between 4 and 5 stars. Everyone who knows me knows I don't give 5 stars easily. In the end, I decided it deserved five stars rather than four because it truly stands out from the crowd and was one of the most entertaining, action packed and funny books I've read in a long time. I'm not going to sum up the plot because others have done it before me. Here's what I liked and what I didn't like so much.
To begin with, the punctuation is British English. This is a long book, think 430-450 print pages, with plenty of action. At less than a dollar, it was a bargain. I expected it to slow down in the middle, but instead, the pace picked up even more. There's so much plot, most authors would probably have turned this into three books. Even still, it doesn't read rushed. The world building is very well done. The characters are enticing, diverse and likeable. The plot kept me on edge. By chapter three, I was completely pulled in and couldn't stop reading.

+ excellent writing with an intrinsic plot and description
+ good editing with no grammar or spelling issues
+ the main character, Amber, wasn't your usual whiny heroine. She actually had a backbone. That's commendable nowadays when every book seems to feature someone who keeps moaning, whining, complaining and so forth
+ a very original plot with many new paranormal elements that haven't been done before. Yes, we had vampires already, but it's not all about them. We also have Shadows (a group of immortal warriors), succubi, a demi goddess, demons, ghosts, a fallen angel in the form of Lucifer's daughter.
+ it can be read as a stand alone novel because the story per se is rounded up and complete, with a few elements left open for further exploration in future books
+ it was one of the most hilarious books I've ever read, if not the most hilarious one
+ on the cover you see a girl in the middle of nowhere, lost, scared, but going on, still fighting. It suits the main character seventeen year old Amber. In a time when covers are often chosen for the sake of attracting readers rather than to tell the story of the book, this cover is a breath of fresh air.

- it's advertised as grade 8 and up. At times, the language was advanced, so I'm thinking more grade 9 and up.
- don't get me wrong, I liked Amber, but I felt Cass stole the show. I can't wait to read more about her.

Even though I usually reserve 5 stars for the classics out there, it really deserves 5, no question about that. Thoroughly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Job From Hell.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen Maze thank you for the recommend!!

Miss Reviewer You're welcome, Ellen. You won't be disappointed.