Lazyreader's Reviews > Shadows in Paradise

U_50x66
May 02, 11

bookshelves: all-time-favorites
Read in January, 1996

I love Remarque's books, even the ones that have somewhat predictable endings or story lines. His writing style and description/development of characters are my biggest attracions. He provides small, particular details about characters and their lives that make you feel that you know these people, that you live during their times, feel their feelings.... A lot of his stories are about WWI or WWII and times in between. In my opinion, they are much better, more informative and definitely much more interesting and engaging reads than Book Thief and such. People in his stories are belivable and stories are not "square" and uselessly tragic, they are dimentional and ironic.
I am surprised that people are raving about Book thief an yet they don't even know Remarque's work aside from All Quiet on the Western Front. He does not just write about pre, post, during war, he writes about people living their lives during those turbulent times.
One thing I noticed in most of his books is how they are somewhat centered around drinks/foods choices of the main characters: it is vodka and gulyash in some, tequila in another, schnapps, scotch, etc. Pretty interesting way to "set the mood" for the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadows in Paradise.