Alyssa's Reviews > Black Heart

Black Heart by Holly Black

After Reading:

WHY IS IT OVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR???????????????????????

Before Reading:

Publishers need to stop with this cover-changing behavior. It's messing up my bookshelf and littering the world with mix-matching series.
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart.

04/19/2012 page 93
31.0% "Oh man oh man is Cassel EVER a great character. I love what Black's made of him."

Lucy God damnit. I hate when they do this with the covers.

message 2: by Wendy Darling (new)

Wendy Darling Ugh. I agree.

Alyssa The originals were so much nicer and honestly, shouldn't they have this figured out before they start off the whole series?

Lucy I didn't like the originals very much. They kind of look 80s and cheesy to me, but this isn't really an improvement. There's no sense of what the book is about from that ccover.

Lucy Jillian -always aspiring- wrote: "...

Do not like this new cover. I will be crossing my fingers that it's somehow just a placeholder."

I don't think so. The proper cover is created and listed as the kindle cover. They switched the hardback cover to this. It might be an accident but... I doubt it. Look what they did with Lauren Oliver's Delirium. New packaging.

message 6: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I like different covers, but maybe that's just me. I think publishers sometimes do this because they rerelease the book or it it's a special edition or maybe they think the newer covers will sell more books.

Arie ☂ It's really annoying. I hate when they reveal a cover I'm perfectly fine with (the original Black Heart) and then change it. Did we really need to see the awesomeness of what we could have had?

Tatiana Agreed. I just hate mismatched books in a series! Plus this new cover is so unappealing.

Tatiana And another thing. Not so long ago I saw an already existing and finished series by Robin Wasserman completely repackaged. Not only the book covers were changed, but even the books' names! Publishers will do many things to try to sell more books.

Alyssa I wasn't the biggest fan of the original cover for Black Heart, but I did like the other two. But I just don't understand why they're switching it so late in the series? Which audience are they trying to target here?

(And I ask that last question because it occurred to me that maybe they're trying to bring in more male readers, but then it doesn't make any sense because it's still the last book.)

Man, if only there was a guide out there that I could read that would answer half my questions for me.

Tatiana Most likely they are just trying to target a wider audience, if the original covers didn't attract enough readers.

I also remember E. Lockhart talking about why her Ruby series got repackaged right before the last book came out. It apparently happened because the biggest bestsellers would only agree to sell her books if they had girl faces on them, because that's what sells books these days. I would say that's what sold books a couple of years ago. Now it's all about prom dresses.

message 12: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Tatiana wrote: "Most likely they are just trying to target a wider audience, if the original covers didn't attract enough readers.

I also remember E. Lockhart talking about why her Ruby series go..."

Ah choked on my coffee at the prom dress comment. Very right. My teenage neighbor was staring at the cover of Unearthly wondering who made that dress so she could buy it for her prom this spring.

message 13: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh Shame. While this doesn't really apply over here because UK editions usually get different covers (although lately we've been getting the same US ones which I find interesting), I did like the noir film style covers. Wonder why they've chosen this particular redesign.

Michaela They changed it back!

Alyssa Michaela wrote: "They changed it back!"

For sure?

message 16: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Thank god.

Tatiana The new covers remain, I know that for sure. Some GR librarian changed the cover to the old one manually.

Alyssa Tatiana wrote: "The new covers remain, I know that for sure. Some GR librarian changed the cover to the old one manually."

Nononononono!!!!

message 19: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Librarians should use their power for good.

Tatiana That person just probably put her wishful thinking into action.

Michaela Lucy wrote: "Librarians should use their power for good.

Agreed.

Elizabeth I feel like a boy is never going to read this book now, when the subject matter is most appealing for boys!

message 23: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha yes i totally hate when they change book covers mid-series too! especially when they change from cool book covers to crappy ones like with these books.