Katie(babs)'s Reviews > Timeless

Timeless by Gail Carriger

Mar 08, 12

Read from March 02 to 08, 2012

The last book in this very hilarious series was somewhat of a let down. There's many moments of Gail's trademark humor that made these books wonderful reads. Something was lacking. I found the plot dull and the scene with Buffy back in London a big bore. But I do love Alexia and Conall's interactions and their daughter Prudence is adorable. Without Prudence, this would have been DOA.

I may grade it higher when I had more time to digest what I read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timeless.

03/02/2012
1.0% "Sad that this is the last book in the series *sob*." 1 comment
03/06/2012
30.0% "Prudence the tot cracks me up! Such cray-cray going on, but so much fun to read!"
03/07/2012
60.0% "The scenes with Biffy back home in England come across as filler. Overall, I'm having some good chuckles, but the story is not wowing me."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Larissa Amen! they are looking like the fake ones they did from comic con last year =/ NOT cool!

message 2: by Tez (new)

Tez Larissa wrote: "Amen! they are looking like the fake ones they did from comic con last year =/ NOT cool!"

Larissa Tez wrote: "Larissa wrote: "Amen! they are looking like the fake ones they did from comic con last year =/ NOT cool!"

Looks like someone playing dress-up, and so obviously PhotoShopped that I hurt :-("

LOL exactly! =D

message 4: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Larissa wrote: "Amen! they are looking like the fake ones they did from comic con last year =/ NOT cool!"

Wish they could have kept the more "original look" that the first few books had, now it looks like they are grabbing any female that dresses in steampunk at a con for the covers.

Larissa Drakenfyre75 wrote: "Larissa wrote: "Amen! they are looking like the fake ones they did from comic con last year =/ NOT cool!"

I totally agree! the first 3 books had such awesome covers! =/

Katie(babs) Also, she has no bangs. Her hair looks like a wig O.o

Tori  smexys_sidekick That cover is flat out ugly.

message 8: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh How have the covers for these books gone downhill so fast? The first 3 are gorgeous but now it's looking so amateur.

Katie(babs) Maybe the publisher knows these books will sell well regardless if the meh covers?

message 10: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle Katie(babs) wrote: "Also, she has no bangs. Her hair looks like a wig O.o"

maybe it IS a wig

message 11: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Covers make such a tremendous difference for new sales though.

Katie(babs) Lucy wrote: "Covers make such a tremendous difference for new sales though."

message 13: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana I don't even like these books and still I think this cover is ugly beyond acceptable.

Larissa Katie(babs) wrote: "Lucy wrote: "Covers make such a tremendous difference for new sales though."

I agree 100%. The first 3 were wonderful. I wonder what the art department is thinking?"

I keep wondering the same thing =/

Tori  smexys_sidekick Maybe bad is the new good?

message 16: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle I wonder how bad sales will drop if they keep making covers like this one.

Katie(babs) Killian wrote: "I believe the model is, in fact, the author."

Actually, Gail has a picture up on her blog of the model. I don't mind the model, it's the sloppy cut and paste shoddy work I don't like.

But I do want to buy a jaunty hat like that for myself.

message 18: by Lucy (last edited May 11, 2011 04:33AM) (new)

Lucy Katie(babs) wrote: "Killian wrote: "I believe the model is, in fact, the author."

Actually, Gail has a picture up on her blog of the model. I don't mind the model, it's the sloppy cut and paste shoddy work I don't li..."

I kind of believe this author would jump at the chance to model if she was offered. She's way into what she's writing and I've seen other themed pictures. On one hand, I'm always glad when an author is passionate about something and on the other, I don't want to see J.K. Rowling in a cloak with a wand.

Katie(babs) Lucy wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "Killian wrote: "I believe the model is, in fact, the author."

Gail sure has embodied her work, which I think works for her. Also the world of Steampunk is much like sci-fi and fantasy. The fans as well as the readers are obsessed.

JK Rowling on a broom perhaps? She could start her own line of brooms. ;)

I'm going to the Steampunk World's fair next weekend and I bet it will be filled with many people lost in that world.

Also Gail is writing a YA Steampunk series that takes place 40 years or so before this one.

message 20: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle @Katie hope you have fun at the Fair :)

Brittany I know, the last two covers make me sad. From my understanding, a different person is doing them now, hence the change. It's the same model for all of them (she's the owner of Clockwork Couture), but they're just not doctoring her as much as they used to. I thought the first three covers were really moody and eye-catching, but the last two just look like a student's Photoshop project.

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Considering that e-book sales are topping paperback sales I'm not so sure the cover means much at all. I agree that the first 3 were much more artistic, but when you are on book 5 of a series are you buying it for the cover art or because you liked the first 4 books?

message 23: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle I've seen the cover for "The Parasol Protectorate Omnibus" OMG I love that cover, so much better than the last few covers for this series.

Experiment BL626 Danielle wrote: "I've seen the cover for "The Parasol Protectorate Omnibus" OMG I love that cover, so much better than the last few covers for this series."

No kidding! Just look at them!

Isalys Agreed! I liked the first but they've slowly been going downhill :( I haven't seen the one for the omnibus yet though.

message 26: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Mar 04, 2012 04:19PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Experiment BL626 Isalys wrote: "Agreed! I liked the first but they've slowly been going downhill :( I haven't seen the one for the omnibus yet though."

Look at my post above yours. =)

Louisa I didn't realise this was the last one, I'm heartbroken, I adore these characters, I just can't get into her other series, I suppose I'll have to wait until Prudence comes out. I hope her parents are still around and everyone else :(