Stacey O'driscoll's Reviews > A Pirate's Love

A Pirate's Love by Johanna Lindsey

Jun 25, 14

bookshelves: ebooks, never-again, no-just-no, romance, johanna-lindsey
Read from May 02 to 03, 2011

Okay. To start with. LOL! What a funny book. I don't think it was meant to be funny but god it was. Basically a girl is kidnapped and taken onto a pirate ship where the main romantic interest "rapes" her. I say rape in quotes as a lot of the time I am unsure to whether it is. First off he kind of blackmails her. Then the unsureness begins. I mean rape is sick and wrong but in this book I couldn't stop laughing. First off. Her first time he rapes her. "I found it quite pleasent" okay lol. Her first time. Forced intercourse and it was pleasent? Sure.
Next i'd like to point out how amazing the female lead character was. I mean she had such strength and integrity and a fire abut her that let you know she won't take any shit. Evidence of this is this quote (not exact) "I will not just take it. I will fight you before you rape me again. I'll fight!" His response. "We both know that if you fight you'll tear that pretty dress of yours. Do you really want that?" Her response. "Fine. But I won't like it." What integrity!
And the hero. I mean wow! What a man. Any girls dream, he was hot. A pirate! His crew were loyal to him and he was so decent a guy... a side from the rape. I mean at the end, like all hero's would he even goes as far as defending the rape he commited by saying "I may have raped her, but I did not share her with my crew and i did not beat her and kill her" (or something like that). I mean who wouldn't want to be with this guy? He doesn't apologise no but god he has a fantastic excuse for what he did! Wow. I want him all for myself.

The female character kind of bugged me. Here's the deal. I can't be quite sure that most the time it was rape, she actually consented most of the damn time anyways? She pissed me off. Okay at first yes, i was as sickened as her but then it got annoying. then really annoying. Then everytime she said the word rape I wanted to push her off something to keep her quiet. She's a hypocrite and it done my head right in. Her aunt or whoever was with her was also a dipshit. Your niece comes up to you and says "He raped me" and she's like. He might be a good guy. Also the guy who tried to whip her to death. "He's a good man. He thought you'd killed his best friend, of course he was mad." Oh yes Auntie you're perfectly right I deserve to die for trying to escape! What a fantastic auntie. I want an auntie like that!

Now I bet you're wondering why I gave he book two stars since I so clearly "loved" it. It is for this reason alone. It was funny. Unintentionally funny. The dress scene and him defending what he did just made me laugh so I gave it a star each. It was just to unrealistic to take serious, even back then, I highly doubt that would have ever happened!

For those who don't get it, this review did consist of sarcasm. They were both pretty crap and it was all pretty fucked up.

The end!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pirate's Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha LOL!!!!!!! Best review ever.

Courtney Brown Just because someone doesn't fight doesn't mean it isn't rape. Just because your body reacts doesn't mean it isn't rape.

Stacey O'driscoll Courtney wrote: "Just because someone doesn't fight doesn't mean it isn't rape. Just because your body reacts doesn't mean it isn't rape."

Okay Courtney; everybody else who liked this or commented realized that this was a sarcastic review... In fact I even stated it. I'm not blind to what rape is; I just think this book was absolutely ridiculous.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha I really do wish I could like this again... Haha!

Stacey O'driscoll haha I sent Alyson the Link. I mean iv read somec rap before but this is like real crap!!

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha It sounds awful!!!

message 7: by Alyson (new)

Alyson obviously the ripped dress represents the feminine resistance to aggressive male patriarchy. The ship is symbolic of sexual freedom ; D

just kidding, it sounds shiiiiiit. Dis review is gold