Connie's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

May 02, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, romance, thriller, europe, 1001-books, england, gothic, mystery
Read in August, 2011 , read count: 3

I read Rebecca, a favorite classic written in 1938, for the third time for an upcoming library bookgroup. The book is narrated by an unnamed young woman who becomes Maxim de Winter's second wife. She is very inexperienced, shy, and unsure of herself, and compares herself to Rebecca, Maxim's first wife who drowned. Although the beautiful, talented Rebecca is dead, her presence fills the pages and she becomes a major character. Mrs. Danvers, the scary manager of the mansion at Manderley, keeps Rebecca's memory alive.

The author uses wonderful atmospheric descriptions, sinister dreams, and probes into the characters' inner feelings to set the stage for an investigation into Rebecca's death. The book is very well written and builds to a climax which I won't spoil for future readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

04/20/2016 marked as: read

Dolors one of my favorites too!

Connie Dolors wrote: "one of my favorites too!"

Dolors, have you read any of her other books? I was thinking of picking up Frenchman's Creek soon.

Dolors Yes, I read Frenchman's Creek a couple of years ago, and although I enjoyed it, it wasn't as good as Rebecca.
I've also read The Loving Spirit, and I remember being bit disappointed about this one. It seems it was her first novel and the character lacked the usual force they have in her other books...
I'll be waiting for your review if you finally decide to give Frenchman's Creek a try!

Margitte I was wondering, while writing my review, if I should not classify this book a murder mystery. I am still thinking about it. The second Mrs. De Winter was the sleuth, I think? Mmmm, perhaps this book was the perfect book. It perhaps covered every single genre in existence. :-)

Connie Margitte wrote: "I was wondering, while writing my review, if I should not classify this book a murder mystery. I am still thinking about it. The second Mrs. De Winter was the sleuth, I think? Mmmm, perhaps this bo..."

Margitte, it is hard to classify. Maybe a psychological thriller? Nothing wrong with putting it under multiple genres. It's a great book!

Margitte Connie wrote: "Margitte wrote: "I was wondering, while writing my review, if I should not classify this book a murder mystery. I am still thinking about it. The second Mrs. De Winter was the sleuth, I think? Mmmm..."

Psychological thriller, indeed. Yes, I need to reconsider the genres.

Jeffrey Keeten I love those five stars Connie. I have her short stories which includes The Birds to read soon. I love the movie of The Birds as well.

Connie Jeffrey wrote: "I love those five stars Connie. I have her short stories which includes The Birds to read soon. I love the movie of The Birds as well."

I definitely should read "The Birds." After seeing the first five minutes of it with the black birds diving down, I remember being too scared to finish the Alfred Hitchcock movie when it came on TV when I was a little kid. I could watch it now.... although I might have to peek between my fingers!