Andrea Guy's Reviews > Torn Asunder

Torn Asunder by Kiki Howell

May 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, book-loving-bitches-ebook-tours, ebook, romance
Read from May 02 to 04, 2011

Kiki Howell creates a unique story that is part fantasy, part erotic novel and part regency romance. I wanted to like this book a little more than I did, which is not to say that there is anything wrong with it, it just didn't completely click with me at the beginning.

I just wasn't convinced with Edmund and Aubrey's love. It just felt too hurried for the sacrifices that they were making. However, once Aubrey was sent to the island off the Irish coast, the story picks up and I really began to enjoy the characters.

I loved how Kiki used both black and white magic to weave her story, as well as an inclusion of the Pendle Witches. I think this really added something to the story that made me want to keep the pages turning. These elements really helped to make the relationship between Aubery and Edmund a little more believable as well as really cementing their attraction.

As the story moved on the relationships with Edmund's family really heated things up, especially as the reader discovers some of his mother's secrets. This really helped hold my interest, because the sex in this story didn't sit well with me. It felt like sex for the sake of sex rather than sex that fit in with the story. That was really my main gripe with the story, but that is just me. I was raised on regency romances, so I'm not used to them being so full of sex.

All that aside, Kiki Howell really wrote a great story here. She is definitely an author I will try again in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Torn Asunder.