Danielle's Reviews > My Foolish Heart

Aug 10, 11

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads-arcs, modern-romance
Read in August, 2011

I have never read a Christian/Inspiration Romance novel before, so this was a first for me. Romance is my genre of choice, so I've read quite a few romance novels. This book was a little bit tame in my eyes, there was just too much going on. As a Christian, I know you're supposed to find guidance from the Bible and incorporate God in your everyday life decisions. However, the author in the book over did it a bit with the Bible references - the main female character Isadora Presley would frequently repeat memory verses as some kind of mantra. For example "God has not given us a spirit of fear..." Sometimes less if more

The character development was great, but the characters themselves were somewhat hard to relate to and it did not help that the whole book was not based on Isadora and Caleb but the chapters alternated between Isadora/Caleb and Lucy/Seb. It was just too much and every couple had so many problems. I know that every relationship is not perfect but when you combine these four characters' relationship problems with their individual problems, it becomes a bit tedious.

It was a nice romance, but it took a long time to get there. The main female character is afraid to leave her home, but she gives advice to others about relationship when she herself has never had one. Needless to say, the author pushes the fact that it is by God's grace that the ideal man for her moves in just next door and it is just too much of a coincidence to disagree with that assessment. However, with the ideal man living next door, Issy still finds it hard to start a relationship even though Caleb (the boy next door) tries everything and continues to forgive her when she runs away from him. He himself has to deal with trying to hide his war injury from the towns people but he still has to cuddle Issy. There was no partnership or balance between the two, he gave and gave and Issy took and took up until the last 40 pages.

All in all it was an okay book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Foolish Heart.