Sarah's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Karin Slaughter

May 02, 11

bookshelves: arcs, mystery
Read in May, 2011

Karin Slaughter just keeps getting better and better. In Fallen, she returns to the team of Will Trent and Faith Matthews - but now Sara Linton is more than wrapped up in the story as well. It's a nice departure from the Sara/Lena tension of earlier novels, especially as I find Lena just as unbearable as Sara does (although, kudos to Slaughter for creating a truly multi-faceted unlikeable character).

This time, a desperate crime has come knocking right at Faith's doorstep, and we can only sit and bite our fingernails as she tries to find out who has taken her mother and why - all while juggling a newborn baby and her own need to take care of herself and her diabetes. After all, when you're already in a situation that could turn anyone hysterical, and your blood sugar is plummeting, how sensible are you going to seem to your fellow officers? To yourself? How do you learn to lean on your partners when you've always been the one to take charge, and when it's your own mother's life on the line.

It's rare that I read a novel that I would describe as heart-pounding, but the final pages in Fallen gave me some damned tense moments. I remember sitting upright in bed flipping pages as fast as I could read, because I knew something bad was coming, and I wanted to be through it just as badly as the characters did. That's a real sign of talent to me, and I'll keep reading whatever Karin Slaughter feels like writing.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.